Thursday, February 05, 2009

As much as ...

... there ever was, I'd say: Is There Intelligent Life on Television? (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)
The fact that we now need books to explain our favorite TV shows suggests that the best products of the medium have developed the aesthetic virtues we traditionally associate with books—complex and large-scale narratives, depth of characterization, seriousness of themes, and richness of language.
Not necessarily. I always found bizarrely abrupt plot twists of The X-Files contrived evasions by writers who didn't know how to plot.

... like any mature medium, [television] has reached the point where it can serve as the vehicle for some true artists to express themselves.

I thin people like Rod Serling and Paddy Chayefsky, to name a couple from the '50s, were true artists.

2 comments:

  1. Agreed, Frank. Since the inception of mass-broadcast television, there has been some good stuff mixed in with all the half-decent and awful stuff. What’s different now?

    I’ve never understood this commonly held notion that the medium of television is inherently sub-par to other media/art forms. Why, because commercials break up, and affect the content of, the programming? Fine, yes. But this is a hurdle that has been overcome by a great many TV writers, directors, actors, etc.-- like the aforementioned Serling, as well as people like Norman Lear (“All in the Family”), Burrows/Charles/Charles (“Cheers”), Larry David/Jerry Seinfeld, and more (along with their respective casts, of course). Moreover, cable stations have since opened the door to commercial-free first-run programming [see: Alan Ball (“Six Feet Under”), David Chase (“Sopranos”), Matt Weiner (“Mad Men”), etc.].

    The quality of work within any medium or art form can be roughly gauged on a bell curve: you get a handful of outstanding, a handful of dreadful, and a whole lot of mediocre. That’s how it’s always been, and how, I’m guessing, it always will be. What’s changed?

    -G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank and Greg, I wish I could hang out with you two and watch some television. Even as I watch some episodes for the umpteenth time, I still enjoy Serling's programs. I loved how he could convey some very deep, very strong feelings - even while appearing rather nonchalant in the manner and pose of his narration - on the strength of his words.

    I still keep a lookout for good programs. I really enjoyed the short-lived "Rains" and the original British version of "Life on Mars" ... but more often than not, I'm enjoying music on the stereo.

    ReplyDelete