Friday, August 14, 2009

If you read nothing else today ...

... read this: In the Theater of Isak Dinesen.

The Cardinal is taking it upon himself to explain, rather grandly, the impact of his story, an intricate one about a docile young princess who gradually learns the pleasures--and dangers--of independence. Though insisting on the reality of his account, the Cardinal is drawing his listener's attention to the exaggerations. A story, he suggests, is a vital form of expression: it offers not just a record of experience but also a vision of potential. And its truth is inextricably connected to its theatricality.

4 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:07 PM

    Consider it having been dutifully and obediently read (and thoroughly enjoyed).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot find words to express how much Isak Dinesen's Seven Gothic Tales and Winter's Tales mean to me. Some things really are inexpressible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:53 PM

    Your high praise suffices to send me immediately to my library's online catalogue in order to obtain copies of Dinesen's tales, which I will then set about reading for the first time as I have not read anything of hers previously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:30 AM

    Although you avow that you "cannot find words to express how much Dinesen's" tale mean to you, I would nevertheless be most interested in hearing some of your words if you should be willing to find them and share them.

    ReplyDelete