Wednesday, May 09, 2007

A bit of local lore ...

... Ardrossan, fabled estate of the high-society family that inspired The Philadelphia Story, is up for sale: End of a class act.

... Frank Lloyd Wright synagogue named National Historic Landmark .

,,, se also Mount Sinai in the Suburbs.

... and finally, Clickable city history.

Here are some sites near where I grew up. A colleague referred to the Far Northeast of the city as being a wasteland back in those days. For me, it was paradise. Our house was where the street ended. It was surrounded by woods. During migration, dozens of varieties of birds passed through those woods - which at this time of year would be filled with spring beauties and adder's tongues and, of course, may apples. There was a stream in back of our house. I walked through the woods to get to my school, which had a working farm attached. It's all gone. And people wonder why I have little sense of nostalgia.

No comments:

Post a Comment