Monday, March 24, 2008

Bryan on same ...

... God Etc.

I certainly agree with this: "I defy anybody who doesn't take God seriously to come up with a credible reading of Titian's Assumption, which is another way of saying not to take God seriously is not to be fully alive."

I found some of the comments appended to Nige's post (which Bryan links to) odd. Those who describe themselves as ex-Catholics were either poor theology students or had poor teachers or both. Extra ecclesiam nulla salus is not Catholic doctrine. In fact, many decades ago, Leonard Feeney, S.J. was excommunicated for teaching precisely that. Nothing is more fundamental to Christian teaching than the realization that God's mercy trumps God's justice - luckily for us.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:52 AM

    I read those comments with the same wonderment. I think they mean/t:

    Ex ecclesiam nulla salus

    (unlucklessly for them).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Frank, re: "God's mercy trumps God's justice - luckily for us" ... I am in complete agreement.

    ReplyDelete