Monday, April 14, 2008

LitPop ...

... Creation of the Beatles song Paperback Writer. (Hat tip, Paul Davis.) Paul (Davis, that is) elaborates:

While stationed on a Navy tugboat at the U.S. Navy's nuclear submarine base at Holy Loch, Scotland in 1974 and 1975 I traveled all over the United Kingdom and parts of Europe.

I purchased scores of Penguin paperbacks and I always had several of them in my "AWOL" bag (what we in the Navy called a small canvas or leather bag only big enough to hold a change of clothes and toilet articles) when I traveled.

I read all of Waugh, Orwell, Greene and many more classic writers, inlcuding a collection of F. Scott Fitzgerald's Pat Hobby stories. (I mentioned his funny and wonderful short stories about a hack screenwriter to you at Drexel). I still have most of the paperbacks.


By the way, I stole the LitPop tag from Katie Haegele, who burned a CD of tunes for which it was quite appropriate - pop tunes with literary references (e.g., Morrissey's "Billy Budd." She thinks it ought be thought as a genre, and she's probably right.)See how, even if you're an aging futzer like me, you can keep abreast of what's happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment