Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Masque of the leader writers ...

... or, Badgers R Us.

On Halloween, in 2000, I donned a squirrel mask, stuck my head in doorway of the office of then-Inquirer features editor Anne Gordon, and reminded her that she had wanted to talk top me about the job of book-review editor. That afternoon, we passed each other, and Anne asked me if I was still interested in the job. I told her yes, and she said, "It's yours." And that's how I became book-review editor of The Inquirer. As I told my then-boss later that day, "I should have put the squirrel mask on years ago."

2 comments:

  1. Will Cuppy noted that squirrels ". . . [are] so glad to be alive that nobody has any respect for [their] mental powers."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, they are seriously underestimating us squirrels, I would say - as this story, I think, demonstrates.

    ReplyDelete