Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Quite a twofer ...

... Melville Climbs A Mountain And Catches A Whale (1850).

Today is Conrad Aiken's birthday. He is a most unjustly neglected poet. Here is

MORNING SONG OF SENLIN
(from "Senlin, A Biography")

by: Conrad Aiken (1889-1973)

      T is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
      When the light drips through the shutters like the dew,
      I arise, I face the sunrise,
      And do the things my fathers learned to do.
      Stars in the purple dusk above the rooftops
      Pale in a saffron mist and seem to die,
      And I myself on a swiftly tilting planet
      Stand before a glass and tie my tie.

      Vine leaves tap my window,
      Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
      The robin chips in the chinaberry tree
      Repeating three clear tones.

      It is morning. I stand by the mirror
      And tie my tie once more.
      While waves far off in a pale rose twilight
      Crash on a white sand shore.
      I stand by a mirror and comb my hair:
      How small and white my face!--
      The green earth tilts through a sphere of air
      And bathes in a flame of space.
      There are houses hanging above the stars
      And stars hung under a sea. . .
      And a sun far off in a shell of silence
      Dapples my walls for me. . .

      It is morning, Senlin says, and in the morning
      Should I not pause in the light to remember God?
      Upright and firm I stand on a star unstable,
      He is immense and lonely as a cloud.
      I will dedicate this moment before my mirror
      To him alone, and for him I will comb my hair.
      Accept these humble offerings, cloud of silence!
      I will think of you as I descend the stair.

      Vine leaves tap my window,
      The snail-track shines on the stones,
      Dew-drops flash from the chinaberry tree
      Repeating two clear tones.

      It is morning, I awake from a bed of silence,
      Shining I rise from the starless waters of sleep.
      The walls are about me still as in the evening,
      I am the same, and the same name still I keep.
      The earth revolves with me, yet makes no motion,
      The stars pale silently in a coral sky.
      In a whistling void I stand before my mirror,
      Unconcerned, I tie my tie.

      There are horses neighing on far-off hills
      Tossing their long white manes,
      And mountains flash in the rose-white dusk,
      Their shoulders black with rains. . .

      It is morning. I stand by the mirror
      And surprise my soul once more;
      The blue air rushes above my ceiling,
      There are suns beneath my floor. . .

      . . . It is morning, Senlin says, I ascend from darkness
      And depart on the winds of space for I know not where,
      My watch is wound, a key is in my pocket,
      And the sky is darkened as I descend the stair.
      There are shadows across the windows, clouds in heaven,
      And a god among the stars; and I will go
      Thinking of him as I might think of daybreak
      And humming a tune I know. . .

      Vine-leaves tap at the window,
      Dew-drops sing to the garden stones,
      The robin chirps in the chinaberry tree
      Repeating three clear tones.

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more!

    Aiken's poetry is something I've championed for a long time.

    He was also the very model of a modern book reviewer. His "Collected Crticism" should be required reading for all reviewers. The style of his prose is as wonderful as his poetry, and he was insightful beyond his times, so that his assessments were often prophetic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure what this says about me when I was in high school, but a favorite quotation of mine, which I wrote on the cover of my notebook, was from Aiken's Preludes for Memnon, LII:

    "Come, we are gods,-let us discourse as gods;
    And weigh the grain of sand with Socrates;
    Before we fall to kissing, and to bed."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank, thanks to your timely reminder, I just posted an appreciation of Aiken on my own blog.

    http://artdurkee.blogspot.com/2008/08/conrad-aiken-appreciation.html

    I've meaning to write something like this about Aiken for some time, so thank you for the prompt this morning to get to it, and get it done.

    ReplyDelete