Thursday, November 13, 2008

Best Bargonzae of the Week

Top these (if you can):

Guess what? Yesterday, at The Loring General Store, I "stole" a hefty trio of used PENGUIN "Classics" from Doug (whom Renée calls Dougie) for the ridiculously low price of $.60 (The Theban Plays by Sophocles), $1.50 (The Histories by Herodotus), and $.60 (Pensées by Blaise Pascal).

Good thing we got into a gripping discussion vis-à-vis McLuhan's irrefutable declaration concerning mystery / detective fiction topping all other forms of same in the genre (since, later, I was still smarting from the fact I failed to snag Robertson Davies, Elmore Leonard, Alison Gordon, et so forthia . . . Next time, when I have more dime); but, this man's very bright, very bright, indeedly.

Later, I spied his name (inscribed too many years ago to mention) in all three of the books I'd snarfed. No wonder the natural-born philosopher knew more than yours truly when it came to the American elections, Barack Obama, and John McCain. That's but one of the beauts when it comes to living near this amazing store (in the hamlet next to mine); another involves my filthy habit (and how this good ol'-fangled genstore always makes sure it stocks my weekly carton of same so I don't go into nicotine withdrawals, eh?).

No comments:

Post a Comment