Saturday, November 01, 2008

One Smiling Second-BaseMan Scoops Oops & Whoops

As Gail Shister reports in this morning's Philly, Inq., "It was hardly on the scale of a wardrobe malfunction, but Chase Utley's dropping of the F-bomb on live TV and radio yesterday caused a stir among some Philadelphians.

"After proclaiming 'World champions!' at the Phillies celebration at Citizens Bank Park, the smiling second baseman leaned into the microphone and inserted a familiar two-syllable profanity between 'world' and 'champions.'

"The crowd loved it, erupting into cheers for several minutes. Local TV and radio stations covering the event live, however, were less amused."

If this is the first time anyone has heard that word, especially in the world of bats and balls, they've lived a very sheltered life and I wanna be a part of it. (I wonder what the king-maker of The King of New York woulda said about it; after all, the word was deployed ninety times during that amazing flick.)
p.s. Susan! We called it from the get-go! High Fives, Babe! (I won all the bets, nobody picked Phillies in five, natch; so, I picked 'em in six and won forty dollars! Yum . . . Bloody Prime Rib here we come!)

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous8:34 PM

    Did you win, really? That's great! My 14 year old son and I went downtown to the parade yesterday and it was some kind of amazing -- it seemed like over a million people in the middle of Philly, all happy (some admittedly quite drunk), all feeling brotherly and sisterly love. We had loads of fun, even though we could not get very close to our heroes on the floats. It was okay...It was somehow the spirit of the thing that really mattered. This city of grumps was suddenly uplifted -- I'll be amazed to see it again in my lifetime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did so! It was supposed to be more like a hunnert bux; but, you know the type; they'll take the cash if they win the bet; but, if they lose, they say, "Oh, it was only a gentle-person's bet, wasn't it?" Cheap bastards! Once bitten; twice burnt; but, I have forty hot dollars in my cash-stash place and I am going to go and have Prime Rib for Dinner and Lunch and Dinner and Lunch tomorrow and the next day (since I can't eat a whole sixteen-ounce steak — I did the metric math for you — in one sitting what with all the yummy fixings including baked potato, Yorkshire pudding, vegetable medley, this amazing bread with all these nuts and flakes in it; and, extra jus . . .).

    OMGasp, I gotta go now (although Jack's doesn't open till five this evening; I want to be first in line and it could snow between now and then :)).

    But, we did call it, Susan; you said you weren't a believer till you saw that great play and from then on, I knew what you were doing, owning a TV and ogling 'em all so gloriously. Oh, I did think of you, of every Philly Phriend, in fact, suffering that wait between Game Five-A and -B :).

    But, remember, I said, I see a Philly team wearing WS Rings in the near future and I was right!

    I'm so happy you got to share this amazing parade with your son; that's something you'll be able to tell his children when you are a Grandma, and you can nod and smile knowingly and make him go get the tea because you had the prescience to take him to that parade.

    You were THERE! That is so awesome! I have to admit, winning the bets dulls the jellissy; but, I wish I had been able to go, too. Lucky you; and yeah, Will Bunch is the grumpiest sportswriter (if that's what he is) I've ever read; and, the comments on the Philly, Inq. blogs! Nobody was really rooting for the hometeam. Just moi! Everybody else was arguing about the election and the informercial someone did and yadda-yadda-yawn.

    La vie. I am happy you got to see what you did get to see. That's precious, worth its weight in that long long long long long wait (and, it makes me feel better about Joe Carter, a little, LOL).

    But, Huge Cheers! I am grinning from thumb-to-thumb and ears-to-ears!

    ReplyDelete