Sunday, November 02, 2008

The Original Canadian, Eh?

Robert Everett-Green provides a lovely profile of a dear friend and a legend in thirty-million-plus minds, Doc Stompin' Tom Connors, which appeared a week or so ago; but, is still worth its weight in Canadian Gold.


BTW, for those who love this Icon and his family, especially Lena, who opened their home and hearts to me for some wonderful games of pool, great home-cooked meals, and lovely Wurlitzer waltzes in that place Everett-Green describes, please don't hesitate to enjoy a peek-see at exactly how much this incredible human being being human means to me (and, to his credit, he's always quietly been there for me). Ah, that jukebox? I studied it :). Lefty Frizzell, Dolly Parton, George Jones, Merle Haggard, Hank, Sr., Wilf Carter, Rita MacNeil, Eddy Poirier, Edith Butler, Jimmie Rodgers, Johnny Cash, The Carter Family, Stompin', Patsy Cline, Gene Autrey, Roy Rogers, Loretta Lynn, Bill Monroe, Roy Acuff, Brenda Lee, The Outlaws, Buddy Whassisname, k.d. lang, Stan Rogers, Buck Owens . . . Love doesn't quite explain nor express it . . .
p.s. After we'd sung our lungs out on "Sudbury Saturday Night," we sat down while he drank his "tonic" with tea (I kid you not! The guy could polish off a forty-pounder quicker than anyone I've ever met) and I slurped coffee made from Lena's special recipe (I ain't sharin'), we got into "a discussion" about what the best title for the second of his two-book autobiography ought to be; he won (only because he shouted louder), and the results are forever preserved on the back of a pack of cigarettes we were both puffin' furiously . . . it's on my 'site forever; and, no, I do NOT want to sell the original, thank you very not!
p.p.s. Please note, the pic's copyright protected . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment