Saturday, November 01, 2008

Song masters ...

... `An Airy, Elusive Quality'.

I grew up with the Mills Brothers - because, of course, I date back to the '40s. I can remember, when I was very small and being taken care of by my grandmother while my mother was at work, playing on the floor of the living room with cars and trucks and my grandmother ironing nearby. The radio would be on - the DJ was a guy named Doug Arthur - and that is when I first heard Sinatra and Ella and the Nat King Cole Trio as it was then called and the Mills Brothers. (When I was 4, my grandmother took a job as the cleaning lady of the Century Theater, a movie house, a couple of blocks up the street. They let her bring me along and I would play among the seats and up and down the aisles while she did her cleaning. Mr. Hirsch, the manager, was always very kind to me, and I still have a warm spot in my heart for him.)

No comments:

Post a Comment