Thursday, August 06, 2009

Twofer ...

... Sound and Sense. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

In the preface to ­“On Poets & ­Poetry,” [William H. Pritchard] extols the ­c­lassroom as “the only place where ­something like a ­conversation can be started” about literature. “One doesn’t expect to have such a conversation,” he sighs, “when dining at a friend’s or even when passing the time with a ­professional colleague.” If even English professors can’t chat about their reading, what hope is there for the rest of us?

Lucky me. Debbie and I were at a dinner party Saturday night during which there was a long discussion of what the essential notes of poetry are. Our host was a psychiatrist, and guests included a composer, a harpsichordist, two recent - and extremely bright and thoughtful - college grads, two retired teachers (including Debbie).

I spent some time chatting with David Yezzi at the WCU Poetry Conference. We had hoped to sit down for one of those video interviews, but there was no time. He is a very pleasant fellow and a very, very good poet.

I like both Stevens and Frost, but on a regular basis read Stevens more. Recently, while reading Santayana's The Life of Reason, I was struck by how much Santayana's prose style reminded me of Stevens's poetry. Stevens, of course, studied under Santayana and his poetry, it has always seemed to me, clearly reflects that.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for highlighting the review of Pritchard's book, which I must now add to my must-buy-and-read list. Even without knowing more about his comment (i.e., the context, the explanation, etc.), I am nevertheless inclined to agree with Pritchard that the classroom is the ideal place for starting conversations about literature (and poetry); in fact, that is my modus operandi--the conversation--when teaching my Introduction to Literature courses at the university because guided conversations are superior to old-fashioned lectures from a professor who claims to have the "keys" to understanding and appreciating literature.

    ReplyDelete
  2. “the only place where ­something like a ­conversation can be started” about literature. “One doesn’t expect to have such a conversation,” he sighs, “when dining at a friend’s or even when passing the time with a ­professional colleague.”

    Academicians patting themselves on the back while oblivious to the fact that poetry and conversations about literature happen all the time without them. Over coffee, beer and even occasionally in titty bars.

    -blue

    **
    *

    "I'm not so sure about that last one."

    "Happened to me just last week. The subject was Patchen and the dancer was Patti, I think, or maybe it was Bambi."

    ReplyDelete