Thursday, October 01, 2009

I have been ...

... enjoying myself, reading posts at Patrick Kurp's splendid blog, Anecdotal Evidence. I linked to one post earlier, but want to link to this as well: `A Sense of Tranquility and Privacy'.

Why am I not surprised that Patrick and I both are fond of Giorgio Morandi? Probably my favorite paintings are still lifes. My poems (things rarely speak of) are still lifes. I just saw several marvelous Chardins at the Barnes Foundation. For yes, as Montale says ...

You realize that in silences

Things yield and almost betray
Their ultimate secrets.

The real problem with scientism is that its adherents seem unaware that things have personality. Of course, you have to get to know them to realize that, and that can happen only in silence.

1 comment:

  1. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/18/Fran%C3%A7ois_Bonvin_-_Still_life.jpg

    ReplyDelete