Monday, January 04, 2010

Fostering conventions ...

... Ron Slate on Burning Down the House, by Charles Baxter (Graywolf), and A Friend of the Family, by Lauren Grodstein.

It's funny. While reading this I started thinking that I must be an odder duck than I realized. I am pretty sure I have always taken responsibility for my thoughts and feelings. I suppose I got some of this through my upbringing and education, but really, who else is there to take responsibility for them? Similarly, I have never felt the need to clarify my feelings because, it seems to me, the feelings make themselves perfectly clear. As for insight, I just try to pay attention to what's going one.

1 comment:

  1. You and I both, Frank. But Baxter actually has to teach writing and so it seems he's come across all sorts on campus. And perhaps is very concerned about certain "conventions," as he puts it. Thanks as always for linking.

    ReplyDelete