Saturday, April 24, 2010

Remembering Willa Cather ...

... The Dead Writer’s Almanac (April 24, 2010). (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

The two women lived together for four decades. Some scholars have speculated that there was more going on than a super-intense friendship. But since the two women are both dead, I don’t believe it’s germane for us to contemplate if they were Sapphic exemplars or friends with really nice benefits. What Cather and Lewis did was their business. And if they wished to take it to the grave, this was their choice.

3 comments:

  1. As I have noted at his blog, EC offers a nice tribute to Cather, and I also noted that I agree with one of his assessments and question a second. Check out EC's blog for more regarding our agreement and disagreement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read a biography of Willa Cather some 20 years ago and learned of her longtime companionship, the image that went through my mind was of two of those plump, well-dressed society matrons that Helen Hokinson used to draw. Wrong of me, I realized even as I thought it, but at least I also thought it's nobody's business but their own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, RT, for your efforts to understand my approach.

    ReplyDelete