Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Quite an afterlife ...

... Suppose You’re an Idiot. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

I have never taken much part in the national veneration for Twain. This departure from the norm began quite early. I read Tom Sawyer when I was in grade school -- the summer after fourth grade, I think -- and loved it. Then I read Huckleberry Finn and was disappointed. I never took to Huck. And while I have, from time to time, enjoyed reading Twain, my overall impression is that he was more crank than sage.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Frank,

    Once again we are very similar. Loved and still love Tom Sawyer and did not care for almost anything else Mr. Twain put to paper--Huck Finn, Pudd'nhead Wilson, The Mysterious Stranger. Although I do have a sneaking admiration for Joan of Arc, and think that I might like some of the travel chronicles were I to give them a proper chance.

    shalom,

    Steven

    ReplyDelete