Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Choosing ...

... You see? Just like I said… Nicholas Carr thinks so, too. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

"I think as a society we’re choosing information overload: we’re choosing to sacrifice the more meditative and contemplative aspects of our minds.”


The operative word, it seems to me, is choosing. If we are choosing and we don't like the consequences of that choice, then we have to start choosing differently. I walk to and from The Inquirer every day -- about four-and-a-half miles round trip. I make sure to spend some time in my garden every morning and evening. I practice tai chi ( because I enjoy it), and I read a lot of books. On the other hand, I'm in front of my computer at around 5 every morning, and usually before I head to bed at night. Once upon a time, though, I spent a lot of time in front of a typewriter. Of course, I also don't have a cell phone. So I don't text. I watch very little TV. In other words, I'm pretty much doing what I've always done, which is what I feel like. But then, as I have admitted many times before, I am also a fundmentally shallow person.

No comments:

Post a Comment