Monday, July 18, 2011

On men without chests ...

... Philosophy Weekend: C. S. Lewis and the Abolition of Man | Literary Kicks. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Does no one remember that Lewis was a professor of medieval and renaissance literature, and that The Allegory of Love and A Preface to Paradise Lost are still well worth reading? Nice to see that Chris Matthews remembered who Lewis was. As for getting divine inspiration out of Lewis's work, what's so odd about that? You can get divine inspiration from a leaf floating downstream or from a frog leaping into a pond (ask Basho).

6 comments:

  1. I do - I've even read The Allegory of Love, and at last I can boast about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! I'll match that and raise you one: I've read Charles Williams's fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo to you both! Descent into Hell is one of the scariest books ever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Scary? I thought the representation of substitutive suffering was positively euphoric.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is not Descent into Hell the one where the professor melts into damnation toward the end?

    ReplyDelete