Friday, February 03, 2012

Balzac

It's not everyday that I take on a short story - to say nothing of a story penned during the first half of the nineteenth century. Still, I did just that today in the form of a poorly translated copy of Balzac's "The Unknown Masterpiece" (1832).

I concede that it was slow going at first, but that, after I picked up the rhythm of the work, I enjoyed it. The story, as I'm sure has been noted, is far more a meditation on art and form than it is a traditional narrative.

What I enjoyed most was Balzac's insistence that art, like beauty (or even love), is never quite the same once it's been shared. Which is to say that, once a piece has been laid bare, its meaning inherently shifts. Perhaps there's nothing so novel about this except that Balzac gets at it in a way that draws a convincing parallel between art and human beauty.

This, I thought, was the most effective aspect of the story: for when the old artist declares at the end of this story that "there is a woman beneath" all that paint, he speaks simultaneously for all of us: indeed, beneath the contrived veneer, there is something else all together, something far more...pristine.

3 comments:

  1. Gary in South Sudan1:56 AM

    Thanks for a perceptive piece. Very good contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely put, Frank. I am a big fan of Balzac. I've read at least half of The Human Comedy. Unfortunately, as you suggest, much of his shorter works exist only in poor translations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Frank's blogging partner, Jesse, here. I appreciate your chiming in, C. Guerin. Thanks for the nice comment!

    ReplyDelete