Sunday, March 18, 2012

Not a bad idea …

… Nourishing the Commons: Rethinking Intellectual Property by Isaac Butler | HowlRound. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)


I’m no originalist, and I think it’s long past the time that we should set nostalgia on an ice floe and push it out to sea, but I prefer the original ideas behind copyright to what it has become today. I believe that creators should have some authority over and ability to make money from their creations, I just believe that time (and that authority) should be more strictly limited than it is now. Copyright has gone from something that encouraged creativity to something that restricts it, and it has poisoned our thinking about collaboration and originality along the way.

I liked the reference to the "Internet-ignorant Congress." That's hardly the only thing they're ignorant of.

No comments:

Post a Comment