Wednesday, April 04, 2012

Portrait of a poet …

… Geoffrey Hill by William Logan. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)


When I introduced Hill at the 92d Street Y some years ago, he struck me at first s a peculiar combination of the the dour and the droll. But we hit it off after his reading when I told him that we had something in common. He looked up and said, "What's that?" I told him we were both the sons of policemen. His eyes fairly sparkled when he looked at me and said, "Really?" 
Finally, after we had talked about it for a bit, he looked at me with a real twinkle in his eye and said, "It really is a brotherhood, isn't it?"

1 comment:

  1. "Poems should be beautiful: ONE of the greatest living poets on never beginning a poem knowing how it will end, and the influence of politics":

    http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2011/12/economist-books-year-festival-geoffrey-hill

    ReplyDelete