Sunday, April 08, 2012

Revisiting favorites …

… Rereading: authors reveal their literary addictions | Books | The Observer. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)


I read Eliot's  Four Quartets at least once a year. I also read most of Wallace Steven's Collected Poems thought this year I have been focusing on "An Ordinary Evening in New Haven." I like what Julie Myerson has to say: "… if I had to pick a single one … to keep on rereading? It would be between Meaulnes and Gatsby… don't make me choose. Both are so much more than the sum of their parts – painful, truthful, slippery, perfect. I don't really understand either of them and I suppose I'm happy to keep it that way." For me it would be Meaulnes. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you on Four Quartets. I also re-read Rilke with regularity, and Jim Harrison's "Letters to Yesenin" is something I've read three or four times in the past two years, as I've been going through my own narrative of illness, depression, recovery.

    I read all of Raymond Chandler every two or three years. And one or two favorite SF/fantasy novels. I just re-read Asimov's "The Gods Themselves" this past year, and it's still superb.

    ReplyDelete