Saturday, April 07, 2012

RIP…

… Artist Thomas Kinkade Dies in California at Age 54 | Video | TheBlaze.com.


So the guy painted dreamscapes. Had they been of bad dreams he would probably have been embraced by the art establishment. His stuff is not to my taste, and I would never argue that it is great art, or even that good, but I have never been able to disparage his work when I have met people who liked it. Why spoil their pleasure? I guess that makes me almost as sentimental as his paintings.

2 comments:

  1. Sentimental, maybe, but most certainly civil and courteous.

    Kinkade's paintings are not remotely to my taste, and to me seem quite gimmicky, produced in a factory system that's not hard to label as a cross between Martha Stewart and jeff Koons. One or two I can admire technically, but the subject matter is most definitely sentiment itself.

    But I've had a few friends who collected them and seemed to get great pleasure from them. Like you, I don't want to spoil their pleasure, so I say nothing. Who are we to spoil someone's pleasure, anyway? It seems to me that the world is not harmed by it, and anything that brings more joy into the world can't be all bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's very nice. What precision!

    ReplyDelete