Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Ho-hum …

… The crimes of the Catholic church: not in our names | Joanna Moorhead | Comment is free | The Guardian. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)


How could an organisation that professes a direct link to Christ – "You are Peter," Jesus told the first bishop of Rome, "and on this rock I will build my church …" – have gone so far off the rails that it now seems a power-crazed, untrustworthy and corrupt institution, out to save its own skin at almost any cost?

I would suggest the writer check out some people named Borgia and Medici. I am as appalled as anyone by the recent sex scandals in the Church (I wrote about that here: Stop the bell, close the book, quench the candle ...), but the Church as an institution has been plagued by corruption throughout its long history. It is populated, after all, by sinners.

No comments:

Post a Comment