Friday, April 12, 2013

Meet...

...The novelist in me
My writing, I feel, must stem not from egotism but from a sense that it best simulates what churns within me. I want to write a book whose existence within me was its raison d'etre. One that would be brought to this world as a conduit to what I feel and think and rage about -- and not, I believe, to let others know or to impress or to leave a mark. (The latter would at best be an acceptable outcome.) My initial interest in writing was externally oriented. I wanted to unleash my talent on an unsuspecting world. But as my experience with Facebook notes shows, this thrill-seeking can play havoc with long-form writing. I need to look beyond encapsulating in real time what I experience, and think about larger canvases that bring together the immediacy of my notes with a strongly personal voice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment