Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Dream and reality …

… Dream on... - Philosophy and Life. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

A first step is to recognise that the language of dreams is the language of symbols. The point about symbols is that they move us beyond the understanding of life that we might gain from empirical evidence or rational investigation. A biologist may look at an oak tree and see a member of the genus Quercus. But the mighty oak becomes a symbol when it conveys strength, rootedness and longevity too. Or I may catch sight of the sun. The astronomer sees an average star that is different only because it is close to us. But our star is also a symbol representing spiritual light, new life or radiant beauty - which must have been why the ancient Egyptians worshipped the sun as Ra. Similarly, water, books, doors, running, mothers, lovers, crosses, spires - in fact, pretty much anything can become a symbol. To be human is, in a way, to be the creature who can look at the world and not fail to see all sorts of meanings and purposes imprinted upon that world.
I presume that I dream. But I almost never remember that I dream, let alone what I dream. Most of the few I have remembered were banal in the extreme, further evidence, I suppose, that I am fundamentally shallow. Of course, the advantage of being shallow is that one is never out of of one's depth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment