Wednesday, April 16, 2014

The Best of Days ...


WHEN I WAS little, my dad used to tell me, as we ran around outside, on spring days just like the ones we had this weekend; “these are the best days of your lives.”

And then later, when I was trudging through the supermarket one day, three young kids in tow, my turn with them, 'cause both of us worked endlessly it seemed, with no time and no money to show for it, a little old lady saw me, and walked towards me, and I could just tell from her expression she was about to tell me the same thing, from her to me; she was about to say “these are the best days of your lives.” BUT I glared at her before she got a word out and she scurried away.

And then on Saturday, this weekend, I saw a couple I know at a park, with their little boy in tow, and the wife pregnant with another, and I told them, for now I knew it was true, “these are the best days of your lives.” Cherish and hold your kids, and each other, in the innocence and joy of the young.

No comments:

Post a Comment