Friday, July 11, 2014

Getting a grip …

… I learnt to survive like an 11th-century farmer – Keith Ferrell – Aeon. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)



The scythe I used had evolved since ancient times. By the Middle Ages, its sharpened blade would have been fashioned by a blacksmith, with his own long years of experience and skill. The addition of lateral grips to the scythe’s snathe (the long, wooden, often curved handle to which the blade is attached) improved the farmer’s ability to control the implement, and made its use more efficient. Until one attempts to use a scythe by holding on to the snathe, as one might a baseball or cricket bat, it’s difficult to appreciate just how innovative the grips were.

1 comment:

  1. I remembering using a scythe during a summer job with a utility company (i.e., I was clearing weeds from right-of-way hillsides in western Pennsylvania). As a lefty, I had challenges. As an eighteen-year-old, I had a rapid appreciation for tractor-driven power mowers.

    ReplyDelete