Friday, July 11, 2014

This is outstanding …

… Does Evolution Explain Religious Beliefs? - NYTimes.com.

Traditionally, God’s necessity is not logical necessity but some kind of metaphysical necessity, or aseity. Unlike Hume, I don’t think this is a silly or incoherent idea, any more than I think mathematical Platonism is silly or incoherent. As it happens, I am not a mathematical Platonist, and I do have conceptual difficulties with the idea of metaphysical necessity. So in the end, I am not sure that the Christian God idea flies, but I want to extend to Christians the courtesy of arguing against what they actually believe, rather than begin and end with the polemical parody of what Dawkins calls “the God delusion.”
The dialectical area Ruse sketches is precisely where genuinely fruitful dis cuss ion can take place.

No comments:

Post a Comment