Friday, September 26, 2014

I would like to know...

...Why does Mantel bring up the bodies?
In an interview to the Guardian, Mantel traces the origin of the story to a day in 1983 when "she spotted an unguarded Margaret Thatcher from the window of her Windsor flat and fantasised about killing her". Regrettably, Mantel converts her chance encounters into nuggets that do little justice to her protagonists. If she chose to honour her meeting with the Queen in an essay, with Thatcher she has gone one step further and drafted an entire story. She seems to possess a remarkably cool-headed notion of a writer's obligation. With regard to her Thatcher sighting, she tells the Guardian: "Immediately your eye measures the distance. I thought, if I wasn't me, if I was someone else, she'd be dead."

No comments:

Post a Comment