Saturday, December 06, 2014

Take a test …

… Beyond Eastrod: Challenge yourself by taking the freshman English composition examination.



There was a time when I would have aced this test, which I think is excellent. I seemed to do well for as long as I stuck with it, but for some reason I lost interest in tests once I no longer had to take them and passing them was advantageous. Also, I don't think of language that way anymore. But here's the rub: I wouldn't be able think of language as I do now had I not learned of it the way that is gauged by this test. You have to learn those things in order to see how language does what it does.

2 comments:

  1. I am encouraged that you think the test is excellent. Students, you should know, have something quite different to say about my emphasis on sentence structure, grammar, and punctuation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, that's why we call them students.

    ReplyDelete