Saturday, October 03, 2015

Elusive lady …

 Decades After Her Death, Mystery Still Surrounds Crime Novelist Joseph | Vanity Fair. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

I am a camera” might have been Josephine Tey’s motto. “Oh, for one of those spy cameras that one wears as a tie pin!” she wrote in a letter to her friend Caroline Ramsden, a sculptor and racehorse owner, according to Ramsden’s memoir, A View from Primrose Hill. “When I was in town this last time I thought that, apart from a well-fitting new suit, there was nothing in the world that I wanted. And then I thought that yes, there was. I wanted a camera that looked like a handbag, or a compact, or something. So that one could photograph a person standing two feet away and be looking in another direction altogether while one was doing it.... I am always seeing faces that I want to ‘keep.’ ”

No comments:

Post a Comment