Friday, July 08, 2016

Prayerful engagement …

… Evelyn Waugh’s forgotten battle to preserve the Latin Mass – CatholicHerald.co.uk. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

For the past couple of years I went out of my way to attend the Latin Mass, after it was no longer said in my parish. I am I grew disenchanted with it. The ritual and the music were lovely, but the sermons tended to be pedestrian. I happened for some reason or other to attend Mass at my parish and was impressed by the pastor's sermons, which focused very effectively on living a Christian life, which has always been the focus of my faith. Father Large, our pastor, gives a brief every day at morning Mass, and I have found this most helpful. I still don't think much of the English Mass, obviously concocted by people with no ear for poetry. (How is the banal "it is right and just" an improvement on "it is truly meet and just, right and availing to salvation"?) Owen Alstott'smusic doesn't help, either.

No comments:

Post a Comment