Sunday, January 01, 2017

MacFlecknoe redux …

The University Bookman: The Art of Sinking in Poetry. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

This review makes me want to read the book myself. I'm not sure about this, for instance:

'When asked by the Paris Review if the poet laureate was required to celebrate “great events,” Collins replied, “You must be confusing me with John Dryden.” Of course, he doesn’t mean to pick on Dryden in particular, he has no special quarrel with Dryden’s Aeneid or Absalom and Achitophel; Dryden just sounds fusty and traditional enough to serve as Collins’s straw man.'

This could also taken as Both accurate and modest: "Unlike Dryden, I don't do official verse, which I doubt I could do as well as Dryden."

It seems there are layers here worth investigating.

No comments:

Post a Comment