Sunday, October 29, 2017

Cri de coeur …

… The Reformation is over. Protestants won. So why are we still here? - The Washington Post.

In 1974, I interviewed for my job teaching theology at Notre Dame. Things were going well until a professor on the hiring committee asked what I wanted to teach graduate students. I said I would like to teach a seminar on Aristotle and Aquinas. The response was immediate: “Why would you, a Protestant, want to teach a course on a Catholic thinker?” Christianity did not begin in the 15th century, I replied. I argued that Aquinas was not a possession of Roman Catholics but a resource for all Christians, whether Protestant or Catholic.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Perry Miller wrote of one of the 17th Century New England clergy who found Aquinas fascinating.

    ReplyDelete