Friday, December 15, 2017

Hmm …

 Of Gays and Wedding Cakes | Frontpage Mag. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

I'm a gay man in a same-sex marriage. But I'm also a writer who, for many years now, has spent a lot of time working as a translator and ghostwriter. Some of the materials I've translated or ghostwritten express views with which I disagree. That's okay. On a couple of occasions, however, I've been asked to be involved in the production of texts with which I disagreed to such an extent that my dissent rose to the level of moral objection. In those cases, I turned down the assignments without hesitation. It never occurred to me to be grateful for the right to do so: in a free country, it only makes sense that I shouldn't have to write or translate anything from which I violently dissent.

No comments:

Post a Comment