Thursday, March 22, 2018

Good for him …

… Yes, Jordan Peterson Really Is That Smart.

As you might expect, controversy has followed, most recently having to do with a negative review about his book. In response to a New York Review of Books essay by the Indian novelist and essayist Pankaj Mishra titled, “Jordan Peterson & Fascist Mysticism,” Peterson tweeted at Mishra: “And you call me a fascist? You sanctimonious prick. If you were in my room at the moment, I’d slap you happily.”
I thought the Mishra piece was terrible and wondered why NYRB had published it. Niall Ferguson recently threatened to sue Mishra for libel after he accused Ferguson of racism in a piece he wrote for the London Review of Books.  
For what it’s worth, Peterson doesn’t see himself as a conservative, so much as a “terrified traditionalist” who generally believes in exercising caution over endorsing sweeping or radical cultural changes.
Sounds like me.

2 comments:

  1. Have you read the Peterson book, Frank? Anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it and I've read most of the first chapter. I have also seen a good bit of him on YouTube. He seems to have found a gold mine by rediscovering common sense. He does seem to be a very good teacher. He is certainly unflappable. What is most interesting is the over-the-top reactions to what he says, most of which seems to me unexceptional. But maybe that's just because I'm old.

    ReplyDelete