Wednesday, March 07, 2018

Hmm …

… Going Beyond the STEM Trend, Ireland Pushes Philosophy - Pacific Standard.  (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Well, I guess it depends on what you mean by philosophy. I had two years of it. The grounding was scholasticism. The courses were logic, metaphysics, rational psychology, ethics, aesthetics, existentialism, and the history of philosophy. The textbooks for the metaphysics course were Avery Dulles's Introduction to Metaphysics and William Luipen's Existential Phenomenogy (the latter has proved a major influence on my thinking). Most important was the teacher of the courses in logic, metaphysics, aesthetics and existentialism. Edward Gannon, S.J. is who I studied philosophy under, and that made all the difference.

I didn't know, by the way, that Berkeley, Calif., was named after George Berkeley. Meaning, of course, that we are mispronouncing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment