Monday, July 30, 2018

Ch-ch-ch-ch-changes …

 The Progress of Reading – the AGNI blog. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Things changed again as I took up teaching and, later, editing AGNI. Now I had a steady flow of student papers to study and grade, and submissions to read. There was also my late arrival in front of the digital screen, with its scrolling text and multiple hyperlinks, not to mention the add-on distractions. The beam of attention began to fracture. The reading life, that vale of soul-making, could not but register the change. The full-on plunge into alternate worlds was becoming less and less frequent. And also more taxing. I felt it. The will to imaginative projection was not as strong as it had been, and it was diminishing steadily.
After I became The Inquirer's  book editor and had to read more than ever before, I found I had less interest in movies and television. I still watch films from time to time, but about the only thing I watch on TV is the ball game.

No comments:

Post a Comment