Thursday, October 04, 2018

Depends on how much time you have left …

… "1,000 Books to Read Before You Die” by James Mustich review - The Washington Post. (Hat tip, Rus Bowden.)

What first strikes anyone who picks up “1,000 Books to Read Before You Die” is the freshness of what its subtitle calls this “life-changing list.” According to Oscar Wilde, only an auctioneer can appreciate all forms of art, but Mustich comes a close second. Who else would have included Madeleine Kamman’s “When French Women Cook,” Eugen Herrigel’s “Zen in the Art of Archery” and “The 9/11 Commission Report”?
Unless there's a check involved, I read what I feel like reading.

1 comment:

  1. Items with the title X [Noun]s to [Verb] Before You Die do not cause me to wish longer life to the authors so that they may go on [verb]ing their x+y [noun]s. Given that the term "bucket list" makes me think of Mr. Creosote in "The Meaning of Life", this could indicate that I am uncomfortable considering my own mortality. It could also mean that I think myself quite capable of picking my own books, travel destinations, restaurants, etc.

    ReplyDelete