Sunday, August 25, 2019

Hmm …

… The Eucharist is about more than Christ becoming present - Religion News Service.

I personally find the theology of transubstantiation unintelligible, not because I don’t believe that the bread and wine become the body and blood of Christ, but because I do not believe in prime matter, substantial forms, substance and accidents. I don’t think we have a clue what Jesus meant when he said, “This is my body.” I think we should humbly accept it as a mystery and not pretend we understand it.
Well, in a comment I posted on this piece, I suggest that Father Reese has fallen into heresy. I point out that the Council of Trent formally confirmed that "by the consecration of the bread and wine there takes place a change of the whole substance of the bread into the substance of the body of Christ our Lord and of the whole substance of the wine into the substance of his blood. This change the holy Catholic Church has fittingly and properly called transubstantiation."

But apparently, this the good padre’s shtick: Fr. Thomas Reese’s quixotic, irrational battle with Greek philosophy.

No comments:

Post a Comment