Saturday, May 21, 2022

Monk, mystic and mechanic …

… Ludwig Wittgenstein's war on philosophy - UnHerd. (Hat tip, Dave  Lull.

… Wittgenstein’s thought steadily undermines middle-class individualism. We are not isolated beings sealed within our own private, incommunicable experience. On the contrary, the way in which I come to know you is pretty much the way in which I come to know myself. How can I know that what I am feeling is jealousy unless I have been reared within a language which contains the concept? And language is nobody’s private property. Behind this distaste for the cult of the individual one can feel the disdain of aristocratic Vienna for the stout burgher.

This sounds a little, since Wittgenstein sounds like quite  an individualist himself.



No comments:

Post a Comment