Thursday, October 12, 2023

Poem …

     The old man and the computer   
                                 The machine in the ghost

                                 I couldn't remember the name
                                 Of one of the great Irish poets,
                                 So recognizable. known to all.

                                 The name, the name---the name! 
                                 I know the title of one of the poems
                                 I can recite the lines word for word.
                                 I've lived thar poem.
                                 I know that poem as well
                                 As I know anything. 

                                 I had an inspiration, rare these days,
                                 I said, " I'll look it up on the computer!"
                                 In my mind I saw a screen and a keyboard. 

                                 I said " Song of the wandering Aengus. " 
                                 Instant answer. 
                                 " William Butler Yeats!" 

                                 The connection was made 
                                  In a computer that wasn't turned on. 

                                                              C. 2023 Alexander Marshall

No comments:

Post a Comment