Monday, June 19, 2006

The poem of the day ...

... is one for the ages. Dan Hoffman just sent me a copy of the poem I mentioned in my post last night. Here it is:


PLUMS

We went to gather beach plums while the moon rose
Tremulous, large, impatient from the sea,
Turning our pails to canisters of silver,
Making a fable of the fruit-thick tree.

The sea in glimmering cowl paced back and forth
Chanting a watery "Anguish" or "Rejoice!"
We had come to gather purple plums by moonlight
And we made our choice.

Sand holds warmth of sun when day is over,
Rabbitgrass leans to the path the wind went through.
When we left there was moonlight paling over the water
And in our buckets, a plum or two.

- Elizabeth McFarland

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Frank - that seems like a simple but very deft poem.

    I think I'm going to bust with all the new stuff I've been picking up off your site...

    Thanks once again. Sure beats the World Cup ;¬)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Superb poem. Thank you for speaking with Dan Hoffman about permission, and bringing it to us, your readers. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete