Tuesday, March 27, 2007

The blogging mortality rate ...

... is evidently quite high: Ghosts of blogging haunt net cemetery. (Hat tip, Vikram Johri.)

Why should this surprise anyone, given the huge number of bloggers? I remember climbing a small mountain in New York state one spring with a friend. On the way we saw what must have been tens of thousands of what I think were salamanders - tiny and orange. They had just made their debut on the plane of existence. My friend told me that only a week later, most would be gone, devoured by birds, other predators, and just plain privation. Blogging is an example of natural selection at work.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:16 AM

    I can think of a few excellent bloggers who folded up their tents and disappeared into the night recently. Does anyone remember Val Landi's blog and his efforts to promote his book, A Woman from Cairo? Gotta job. Gotta go.

    I've been blogging pretty consistently for a little over a year and know the kind of commitment that is necessary to maintain momentum in the blogosphere. It's like, gasp, having a JOB!

    I think those bloggers who stick around have an agenda (blog as loss leader, perhaps) and/or an inner drive to write (stop me before I blog again!).

    Lynne AKA The Wicked Witch of Publishing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous2:13 PM

    I remember Val Landi's blog - I bought his book, I read it, I reviewed it ;-) (Actually, now I recall, I didn't buy it, he very kindly sent me a copy.)

    I know what you mean, Lynne. Mine is like that third child I never got around to having!

    Frank, like your analogy -- let us hope that most of those blogs that fall on the scrap heap of evolution are the "spamalanders" of the blogopshere.

    ReplyDelete