Thursday, October 25, 2007

Miracles of every day ...

... `The Chair was Just a Chair'. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

Years ago I worked as the director of a small art gallery. And once I had a job - again, many years ago, that afforded me the opportunity to spend a great deal of time in Washington's museums. Practically all that I know - or think I know - about art comes from just having looked at a lot of paintings for as long as I wished. On the whole, I prefer still lifes and interiors. I like landscapes, but the paintings of scenes outdoors that I like best are of odd, out-of-the-way spots - factories, alleys, rooftops - I guess because my earliest years were spent in settings that were filled with such. But a good still life seems to me to offer a glimpse into the eternal.

No comments:

Post a Comment