Thursday, April 10, 2008

Don't worry about it ...

.. that's my suggestion: Got food?

I eat pretty much what I did when I was growing up. I'm fond of soup, making it and eating it. I sometimes even start the day with it. I like good cheeses. I don't think I eat any processed foods. I don't do fast food. I eat when I'm hungry, and then only a bit. I worked for a newspaper for nearly 28 years. I can't tell you how many diets I've seen come and go. Eating is just one more thing our peculiar society has made a cause for worry. You can eat well, exercise, be in great shape. Guess what? You're still gonna die of something some day.

Update: Daily food report; oily fish may cease to be healthy by mid-afternoon. (Hat tip, Clare Dudman.)

Oh, and don't miss the Rowan Williams pic to the right.

Post bumped up.

5 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:09 PM

    Hi Frank,

    I think you'd like this...

    (just come over here on Debra Hamel's recommendation).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've recently read Pollan's Omnivore's Dilemma and have In Praise of Food on my to be read list. I grew up eating the menu of whatever my mother's latest fad diet consisted of. It's a wonder I don't have a serious eating disorder.

    We eat a lot of simply prepared, non-processed foods. I don't believe in 'dieting'. I believe in eating well. We are fortunate to have a local farm that sells shares of seasonal produce, so starting in a month or so, we will get a weekly supply of freshly grown veggies, sometimes eaten within an hour of them being picked.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous1:56 PM

    I had an old relative who used to say, "Eat when you're hungry, drink when you're dry." And not otherwise. He was in great shape and lived to be a very old man.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:08 PM

    Frank you are a rarity it seems. It's great that you eat so well. It has taken me a long time to get there. I grew up thinking TV dinners of franks and beans, mashed potatoes and chocolate pudding were the best thing on the planet next to Wonderbread.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stefanie,
    My wife was surprised to hear how well I ate when I was growing up. The advantage was that we were poor. My wife was definitely middle class. And the poor middle-class people never seemed to learn to cook and they took to the packaged food like there was no tomorrow. Those soups and stews I grew up on didn't cost a lot, tasted great, and were wonderfully nutritious. Now I live within a few hundred yards of some of the best food shops on the planet.

    ReplyDelete