Saturday, May 10, 2008

Musings ..

... You are born - just like David Copperfield. Twelve months later, your family will celebrate your first birthday, which you won't remember. Nor will you be aware that, during the following year - between your first and second birthdays - you will be living exactly one-half of your life. By the time things start happening that you do remember - let's say between your third and fourth birthdays - you're already living a mere quarter of your life. And so it will continue, each succeeding year a smaller fraction of the time allotted you.
This is, of course, just a variation on Zeno's Paradoxes of Motion, but it may go some way toward explaining the feeling you have, as you grow older, that time is passing at ever greater speed.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous7:40 PM

    So that explains it. And these last few days, as I brought my 19 year old daughter home for the summer after her first year of college, I've been wondering where it went...All those years. I still have very vivid memories of my beautiful daughter as a baby girl and me as a young mom. Now I'm middle-aged and she's a gorgeous grown woman. Next time I see a big-eyed beautiful baby like her, it will probably be her child or her brother's.

    Where are the snows of yesterday? We can never get them back. Susan, feeling reflective after a few mimosas, soon to tuck into some moussaka......

    ReplyDelete