Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Sounds good to me ...

... Fish to Profs: Stick to Teaching. (Thanks to Dave Lull, the link is now fixed.)

Whether anyone notices it or not or comments on it or not, the teaching of writing in universities is a disaster. [There is] the conviction on the part of many composition teachers that what they are really teaching is some form of social justice, and that the teaching of writing ... takes a back seat. And in fact in many classrooms the teaching of writing as a craft as something that has rules with appropriate decorums ... is in fact demonized as an indication of the hegemony of the powers that be. This happens over and over again in classrooms and it’s an absolute disaster.


In the brief stint I had, many decades ago, teaching freshman composition, the first thing I noticed was that students were afraid to write. You'd assign a topic that they knew little about and had thought even less about, and they just didn't know what to do. On the other hand, they had plenty of things on their minds, things they would have liked to write about had they known how. So one day I told them I wasn't going to assign any specific topics anymore. I just wanted each of them to write me a letter about something that was on their minds, something they thought I should know about, or that I might find interesting. Or maybe a complaint they wanted to get off their chests.
That assignment proved a great success. I sat down with each of them privately and went over what they had written, showing them how it could be improved - basically doing what any good editor does. The upshot was that they began to find writing interesting. The realized they could do it, and that they could get better at it. For what it's worth - and this is as anecdotal as it gets - a former colleague told me years later that all of the students in my two classes went on to demonstrate superior writing skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment