Thursday, October 02, 2008

Either / or ...

... Why not every scientist worships at Darwin's feet. (Hat tip, Dave Lull.)

This former headline writer finds the headline in this case misleading.

And, speaking of Darwin, it was on this day in 1836 that he returned home a fter his voyage on HMS Beagle. (Via Today in Literature.)

It is also Graham Greene's birthday. He never won the Nobel, either - and he wasn't even American. The first published book review I ever wrote was of Greene's A Burnt-Out Case (I liked it).

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous4:17 PM

    I'm very fond of Greene. I have read his entire output, and he was prodigious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neither did Joyce, though; and, I think there's a clue in citing both Joyce and Greene in the same sentence in this context; but, we know what subjects are inappropriate when it comes to Hail Marying :). For me, The Quiet American proved he deserved it, just as Joyce's oeuvre proved likewise; and, Yeats did win it (although, I'd say Joyce trumps Yeats, ten times outta ten).

    ReplyDelete